Roasted Honey Pumpkin

It's amazing how many of my my greater achivements in the kitchen have come from a desire to get good food into the mouths of my children. Mother is the necessity of invention, they say, and it is so true. 

I love pumpkin. Soups, curries, roasted, scones, pie - all are great. But my children hate it. So to make them like it, I partner it with something I know they love, and I make sure they are in the kitchen helping me, so they can see the honey going in. This is the easiest way to cook delicious pumpkin - prep is less than 5 minutes, and the rest of the work is done by the oven.


Ingredients:
  • pumpkin, chopped into 1-inch cubes - as much as you like, but I use a half of a butternut squash to feed my 4.
  • a pinch of saffron threads
  • a drizzling of honey
  • a glug of olive oil
  • a light sprinkle of cardamom powder
  • salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions:
  1. combine all ingredients (with hands - this is a good job for kids) and cook at 200ᵒC until soft (about 40 minutes)


Goes perfectly with my basic roast chook (coming in the next post), or has a multitude of uses. 
  • Allow it to cool, and puree with a dollop of creme fraiche, a squeeze of lemon, optional chilli powder and a glug of olive oil and serve as a dip.
  • Combine with chicken stock, cream and cashews and puree to make a delicious roast pumpkin soup.
  • Allow to cool and serve with crumbled goats curd or soft feta, almonds and fresh rocket leaves, and dress with a simple dressing made of lemon juice, olive oil and sumac.







1 comment:

  1. I feed a teaspoon of honey to Maryam when shes ill and she hates it now.....I'm glad teh boys are helping out in the kitchen...Maryam does too sometimes!

    ReplyDelete