It's time to come clean

A little personal deviation...

There's something just not quite right with my youngest son. We didn't realise that everything wasn't exactly normal until he was about two and a half, but now we look back, the signs were all there, right from day one. In Australia, he has been diagnosed loosely with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Here, in Dubai, they have not been so willing to assign a label to him, but they have diagnosed language and physical delay, sensory problems, and an attention deficit.

We've been up and down with this issue as a family. Is it a serious problem, or is he just a little eccentric? What IS normal anyway, and do we really care that he (and probably we) don't fit in that box? Sometimes, he is a completely average boy, at other times difficult to control, inappropriate, and yet also gorgeous. At age four, this kind of behaviour can slip through the cracks - he covers it up with a cheeky smile, a batting of the eyelids, a primping of his gorgeous Goldilocks curls, a crushing cuddle. But will that last? Can a 12 year old smack you for no reason and still look cute?

We had decided earlier that there was no need to label him. It would make it hard to get him into school, to be accepted by peers. Whatever issues Goldilocks had, they were mild. So we just treated the symptoms, pushed ahead with speech and occupational therapy. It seems to have helped. A bit. But he's in school now, and he's just not getting by as we had hoped. Who's your best friend Goldilocks? "Mummy. "

In September of this year he needs to go into grade one, and he can barely draw a circle. I'm concerned, and positive he's not going to be ready. And in my desperation for answers, I've turned to the internet. And besides telling me a variety of things like he might have an inherited genetic issue (scary), that I myself have ADD (hilarious, but could explain a lot), that diagnosed autism is on the rise (damn fads), that ASDs have been linked to the MMR vaccination (old news, but I discovered something new), and that he probably has PDD-NOS rather than Asbergers (which was previously suggested), it has also told me that Autism can be cured by diet.

Autism can be cured by diet....?

Ok. Let's break this down. Firstly, it sounds ridiculous. Secondly, there's no definitive proof. Thirdly, it's all very theoretical, and seems to be backed up only by long-winded recovery stories and by dieticians making money off it. But fourthly, some of it makes a little sense, and fifthly, it's not going to kill us to try it.

The first suggestion is that he go on a GFCF diet, which is free of Gluten and Casein. Apparently these proteins (found in wheat and milk respectively, and many other things) are not broken down properly in many people's digestive systems, despite the fact that they are not allergic to them. This causes the brain to treat these proteins as toxins, and increase the naturally occuring opiods in the brain. Yes, opiods, like you find in heroin - "leading to high pain tolerance, repetitive behaviors and lack of concentration" (source linked). This diet has actually now become widely accepted to be useful in the treatment of ASDs, but for some reason, nobody mentioned it to me here in Dubai.

Secondly, we need to avoid synthetic preservatives. You know all that anti-MMR hype? It's actually more about the preservative used in the vaccine than the vaccine itself. Check out this link for more information. There are also plenty of preservatives used in food (list to avoid here) I went to my pantry and took out four random products, and the balsamic vinegar and the soup had the baddies in there - and I'm already a careful shopper. Best way to ensure you don't end up with them? Buy unprocessed and organic foods (even wine commonly has sulfites - usually E220), and watch out for annatto (b160) - that's the sneaky natural one.

Thirdly, (with less documented success, but driven by a greater gut feeling of mine) we are going to avoid sugar. Initially we had let sugary treats into his diet in our attempts to make him enjoy solid food, or any food at all. Now he eats fairly well, but Goldilocks is often destructively hyperactive, and we notice a remarkable sugar rush when he eats processed sugary treats, followed by a rapid crash. It has been found that regulating blood sugar is very effective in controlling behaviour, plus, sugar is a poison and a drug. Not good for anyone really...

So. That leaves me with some gluten free pasta in the pantry, and only some tofu and bacon in the fridge. Because if I am to be religious about this, I also have to avoid salicylates, which are naturally occuring in a stack of lovely fruits and vegetables. Also, considering most kids with ASDs also have sensitivity issues (mine does) that affect their food preverences, leaving children with a diet consisting of about 4 items anyway, this makes progress more than a little difficult.

Thus, I'm going to take small steps, and put things in perspective.
  • I'm eliminating wheat. My husband already is intolerant, and I'm used to preparing gluten free dishes - no biggy.
  • I'm also cutting out most dairy, but sticking with raw butter and cream for the moment, as they have much lower levels of casein than standard milk. It might take a little while to get soy yoghurt accepted too.
  • I'm going organic where I can (so hard here), and 
  • I am cutting down on sugar - substituting with honey or date syrup where I must for a little while before cutting it out completely.
 I'm going to update our progress in the comments section below - the entire family is going with this. I'll also be adding recipes (check the tab above), along with taste (according to my other son Lion) and health ratings. So wish us luck with our new, clean living, and please get in touch if you have something to ask or share. Some good links on the subject below:



Oh.... And when I go out to review restaurants - diet's off!


14 comments:

  1. I don't mean to offend anyone, but autism cannot be cured by diet. In fact, autism cannot be cured by anything. There is a sense of being able to manage it better yes, but personally, to say this can be cured implicitly means you're classifying autism as a disease and that's just...well...offensive.

    I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned GFCF diets to you. The only reason I haven't was that we tried it with my brother for a long time and it had no effect on him and I completely forgot about it. But yeah, it has definitely shown success with many kids.

    Good luck with the diet at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to agree. Diet is fairly unrelated. There are tangential links but I have yet to read a peer-reviewed study on the subject. For me, autodidactic assertions don't equate to evidence. The evidence seems to point to the opposite...

      "Based on this review, we must conclude that the published studies we located do not support the use of GFCF diets in the
      treatment of ASD. Additionally, the data from these studies do not support the Opioid-Excess Theory. Until conclusive
      evidence is found in support of GFCF diets, restrictive diets should only be implemented in the event a food allergy or
      intolerance is detected (Berni, Ruotolo, Discepolo, & Troncone, 2008; Zopf, Baenkler, Silbermann, Hahn, & Raithel, 2009)"
      ^Taken from http://www.edb.utexas.edu/education/assets/files/ltc/gfcf_review.pdf
      "Gluten-free and casein-free diets in the treatment of autism spectrum
      disorders"

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    sorry to hear that your son has been diagnosed so. But you are obviously doing the best you can and I do hope for the best. I have heard of rougher stories and I do believe and hope your son pulls through this.
    Also FYI; my best friend is a therapist for autistic, she is excellent at her job and works on saturdays too. If you want I can pass you her number and drop a special word for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 11 year old son is autistic. I agree with Devina that "cure" is not the right word. The best "cure" is early intervention with intensive ABA therapy (YMMV). In my view you are lucky to get a diagnosis this early. If I were you I would seriously consider intensive therapy. It isn't cheap nor a guarantee but it is your best shot. I don't know where your son is on the spectrum so that's going to be a huge driver too. Please feel free to contact me if you think there's any way I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duffy - finding good treatment in Dubai has proved hard so far. I've just found a pretty good child psychologist, and she's going to start some behaviour analysis. Starting with a behaviour diary too.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Duffy. The advantage you have Sarah, is that now there is a LOT happening in Dubai, compared to 13 years ago when my brother was diagnosed. I feel, many times, that time was wasted finding someone or a place to help him and sometimes in my depressed moments, I play the 'what if' game with myself...what if someone helped us earlier? What if we found XYZ person months before we did?
      There's also an issue of cost...but if you can afford something, do it. I am naturally, always here, to sound off ideas on.

      Delete
  4. Devina, you're so right - I don't think that anyone sane would believe that diet can fix a genuine case of autism. I've just looked back - time to edit and stick a question mark in...

    I think that the issue might be in the increase in ASD diagnosis. My neighbour back in Australia worked with autistic children as a teacher, and she once told me that she believed that current official parameters of ASDs in Australia were so broad that everybody could be classified as autistic. I'm starting to believe that there are ASDs and then there are real ASDs. I'm hoping Goldilocks has the fake kind - the kind that might be lessened with a change in diet. I'm sceptical, but, it can't hurt. Thanks so much for our chat the other day - it inspired, as you can see.

    folks - Devina's quite familiar with the subject - check her out here: http://autism.devinadivecha.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is interesting, because recently the autism community has been tossed into a "controversy" of sorts. The DSM IV has moved to the DSM V, which narrows the scope of autism if you will. The bad thing about this is: those who really are autistic but don't fall within the narrow parameters will not get the treatment they need. The good thing is, those who aren't really autistic don't get labelled.
      There's such a difference between Asperger's and autism, and then you have things like Fragile X, PDD-NOS, and so much more, it's hard to say what qualifies.
      But everyone should remember: autism is an umbrella under which different classifications exist.
      Thanks for the linkage.

      Delete
  5. I was sorry to read about your son's diagnosis. I immediately thought of the A2 milk we have in Australia and wondered if it would be suitable and if so, whether you could get something similar in Dubai. It is a natural, additive free milk that only contains the 'good' A2casein protein and not the 'bad' A1 protein that gives the digestive problems etc associated with milk. It still may have too much casein for you but could be worth a look when you are next in Melbourne. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be followign your post carefully to see if diet changes have any effect on your entire family. Good job Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sarah,
    A very close adult friend of mine has high functioning Asperger's and the lack of salicalytes and amines has meant a drastic drop in related problems such as migraines and hypersensitivity. As for the "cure" I totally agree with Devina, it's more of a helper than a treatment. It can make things easier for some, but because it's a spectrum and all individuals have such different variations of the disorder (as you already know) its efficacy varies. But hey, any amount of clean eating will remove stress off the digestive system, giving the body more capacity to deal with other difficulties. Good luck, and I hope it helps out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been gluten free and it's been suggested to me to go on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I could do the grain part, but cutting out sugar was a killer for me; I'm addicted and I can't seem to quit it. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah,
    I myself am a mum of an autistic child here in Dubai too.
    I do know some families that found a lot of improvement after trying all what you’ve mentioned before but unfortunately I wasn’t one of them.
    Although autism might not be curable but I do hear you as a mum that we have to try it all that’s out there just for the thought of, what if.
    About you struggling on finding help here in Dubai, well I’ve been there too, that’s why I just started a blog called Autism In Dubai hopping for it to be a one stop shop for all parents like us in a foreign country like Dubai.
    Shockingly it is doing way better than expected, which proves that we are not the only ones out there.
    www.autismindubai.com
    Please take some time to visit it and subscribe if you like to receive regular emails.
    Feel free to contact me for anything whenever you want for information or questions needed.
    Best of luck with your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best luck to you and your family - thanks for the honest post and for walking us through your thought process as well

    ReplyDelete